Stress-Test Your Business Continuity Management
Stress Testing Continuity Plans – Gartner discusses elements of a business continuity management plan, recommending testing responses to disruptions such as Coronavirus with tabletop exercises
Gartner updated the following article on business continuity management (BCM) to reflect how a BCM plan can apply to disruptions like the Coronavirus on February 12, 2020.
Key points include:
- Business Continuity Management – A business continuity management (BCM) plan enables organization to reduce impact of internal and external volatilities caused by increasing disruptions while consistently achieving strategic objectives.
- Components of (BCM) Program – Include in plan how to recover essential business processes, limiting downtime of IT services and systems as well as cyberattacks, mitigating risks from using external suppliers, managing crisis response and communications, and making workforces more resilient
- Testing the Plan – Ensure plans can enable organization to weather disruption, particularly by testing effectiveness of procedures and safeguards to recover from incidents, and identifying flaws and gaps through tabletop exercises and discussions with team
- Mind Your Own Business – First define threats and risks specific to the business, and prioritize relevant scenarios that consider regulatory obligations, response plan maturity and complexity, and those essential to business operations
- Tabletop Exercise Team Roles – Assign scribes who will document key actions, issues and findings from exercise; evaluators who have functional expertise to evaluate feasibility and efficacy of responses against established objectives; communicators mediating between business units and sharing lessons to scribes; players representing functional leaders and frontline management who will enact response plan in given scenario, facilitator of the exercise which can be an external consultant, and observers who know business well whom players can consult during exercise
The article can be read for free at Gartner’s website: https://www.gartner.com/smarterwithgartner/stress-test-your-business-continuity-management/
- Stress-Test Your Business Continuity Management, Feb 2020 (Gartner)
Original publication date: February 12, 2020
Date last updated: April 3, 2020